Igbotrayal: A Portrayal of the Igbo betrayal


Gather around children let me tell you a story of the people of Nigeria, through the eyes of a man named Chinedu, who was on his way to a job interview in the village filled with people of different tribes, faces, and classes.

Chinedu is a 25 years old man, an active youth who graduated from university at the age of 20, and has been in search of a job for over 4 years but no luck, but today it seemed it might be different. Chinedu alighted a bus, unknown to him that there is more to the journey that meets the eye.
The conductor was an Igbo man like him and from the same community. When Chinedu saw this, he was pleased and exchanged laughs with him and took a seat. He noticed the different tribes and classes of people on the bus.


As he was gazing he felt a slight tap on his shoulder and turned to find a very beautiful but young girl who was sitting close to a rather older man he seemed like he was her grandfather but it was quickly corrected that the old man was actually her husband. The young girl was trying to communicate, all "I" heard was 'me pass me, pass me, basket. Oh, she was trying to say 'pass me the basket' I turned and saw it beside where I sat and handed it over to her, she stuttered again but this time I could quickly grab that she was trying to say thank you. it was a little disturbing seeing such, a young girl who should b in jss3 by Nigerian standards is married !!!! The journey took a while and got longer as the bus came to a stop.


The conductor was trying to help out a Yoruba man whose car broke down along the road, he was a very popular man in the village, but the thing that was popular about him was his extravagant lifestyle, he spent and ate as if the world's stocks would finish that very day. He had a rather intriguing like for spicy food, on the day of his wedding the whole village attended, it was so grand. So he alighted the bus and the only thing that kept us waiting was the conductor who was making a call, the passenger got impatient and screamed for his attention.
He and I were talking and laughing, I told him I was on my way to an interview, he laughed and said I should keep trying, when I get a good one he would come over and we can have some wine, we continued chatting but interrupted by a loud sound, it sounded like a gun, the driver stopped. I took a look and saw he had been shot and was bleeding out, several other shots hit the bus and a group of men wearing black masks rushed for the bus, the passengers were trembling and so was  I, I turned to my friend the conductor and noticed he was no where to be found, he must have ran outside I thought only to see him talking to one of the goons and laughing. They came into the bus and pointed their guns at us, and told us to off load all our valuables which we did quickly, the conductor took the gun of his goon friends and pointed it at the Yoruba man and directed him to enter a black car his men came in, I tried to reason with the man I was just laughing with a few minutes ago and he pointed the gun at my leg and shot at me. I screamed in pain and held my leg to stop the bleeding while he went off with all our valuables and the Yoruba man. Few hours later the local police came to our aid but the driver was already dead by the time they arrived. listening to the other passengers giving their statement I realized had it been the conductor didn't shoot me in the leg, I probably would have been been accused of being those goons partner. A few days later, I heard the goons as well as the conductor were arrested and the Yoruba man had been rescued though he was a little bruised. That day I learnt two things, the first was to mind my business whenever I was in use of a public transport rather if ever, the second was to never put too much trust in an igbo man, I know it sounded odd since I am an Igbo man but still, never ever over trust one, they can sell their own brother fo the right price.   

2 comments:

  1. Nice write up. The Igbo man's love for money can be their rise and fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. That's the truth the ambitious nature of the Igbo's often leads to them making wrong choices.

      Delete